Clear, engaging, edited content is an investment worth making. Whether your target audience is a committee, customers, clients, a judge, a boss, or a potential employer, working with a professional editor can enhance your credibility and help you communicate more effectively. Content & Contour’s editors can edit the written word in almost any form, including
- Business plans
- Grant applications and loan packages
- Dissertations, book chapters, and other scholarly writing
- Promotional materials (such as brochures and newsletters)
- Reports and presentations
- Resumes and cover letters
- Legal briefs
Though a red pen mentality is sometimes necessary, good editors don’t just fix things based on inflexible rules. We think critically about the numerous fine points every piece of writing has, and we engage writers in this process when it’s appropriate.
Types of Editing
- Assisting with rewriting/rewording sections that need help
- Suggesting remedies to issues such as excessive slang and inappropriate tone
- Polishing sentences to avoid issues such as overuse of passive voice and unnecessary repetition
- Rearranging sections
- Fact checking where the author has specified
- Checking for grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency, style, and word usage
- Formatting as a proper manuscript
- Standardizing notes, bibliographies, and reference lists
- Making style decisions based on a specified style manual (such as APA)
- Providing a final check of a manuscript for minor mistakes in spelling, punctuation, spacing, etc.
Initial read-through (often followed by substantive or copy editing)
- Making marginal comments and editing marks on the manuscript
- Providing an overall assessment on areas for improvement and next steps
Turnaround time can vary substantially from project to project, based on the amount of content, what type of editing is desired, and what other projects the editors are working on. At Content & Contour we do our best to accurately predict how long a project will take, and to work efficiently on your project.